PALS Park - our new dog park - is open and accepting members!
- 2.5 acre off-leash dog park.
- Separate fenced small dog area
- Pond (gated for safety)
- Located on PALS’ four acre property
- Owned and operated by PALS
- $30 annual membership per household (not per dog!)
Employee benefits for employers/organizations (see below)
- Planned: Agility training equipment (obstacles, jumps, etc).
PALS Park membership is FREE for all employees of Grinnell Mutual and Grinnell Regional Medical Center, thanks to contributions from these employers.
Want free membership for your office? Ask your employer about the benefits that come with tax deductible donations.
Questions or suggestions?
Contact Barry Driscoll at email@example.com
- Or an employee challenge
- If just a few of your employees donate, then all of your organization gets park membership!
- The number of donations depends on the size of your organization.
- For example: one Grinnell employer has 150 employees, so we challenged just 25 employees to make a donation at any level so all 150 employees get park membership!
- Contact Barry to work out a deal for your organization.
Other ways to help
Employee benefits for businesses (donations are tax deductible)
- Biscuit Level: Less than $250
- ½ price PALS Park membership for 1 year for up to 5 employees
- Leash Level: $250
- Small sign with name on dog park fence
- Membership for 5 employees for 2 years
- Puppy level: $500
- Medium size sign on dog park fence
- Membership for 20 employees for first 2 years
- Dog level: $1,500
- Large sign with logo posted for 3 years
- Membership for 50 employees for 3 years
- Park Level: $5,000
- Large sign with logo posted for 5 years
- Membership for all employees for 5 years
Contributions received with thanks from private donors as well as:
- 1st State Bank
- Great Western Bank
- U Iowa Community Credit Union
- Grinnell Lions Club
- Grinnell Veterinary Clinic
- Lions Club
- Grinnell Regional Medical Center
- Grinnell Mutual
- City of Grinnell
- VanTomme Landscaping and Concrete
- 4 Seasons Trailer and Equipment
Endorsement from Poweshiek County (link)
Endorsement from City of Grinnell (see pages 14-16)
Lengths are shown in feet
PALS Park rules
- Keep dogs on leashes at all times except in designated “off-leash” areas.
- Members must have a leash in hand at all times.
- Members must remain in the park and keep their dog in view at all times.
- All dogs must have up-to-date vaccinations and tags.
- Dogs under four months of age should not enter the park.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Any dogs showing signs of aggression should be removed from the premises.
- Members should actively encourage good dog and owner behavior
- Female dogs in heat are not permitted in the dog park.
- Do not bring human or dog food inside the park.
- Members must pick up dog poop.
- Members must fill in any holes made by their pets.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will the park's opening hours be?
PALS Park will be open from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year! Only closed 8-9am and 4-5pm for use by PALS shelter dogs.
How can I sign up to become a member?
Check back here as we near the park's opening date.
How will the money from the park be used?
Membership fees are designed to cover the cost of park maintenance estimated at about $5,000, including insurance at almost $2,000 annually, and mulch, fence repairs, etc.
Can I buy a day pass for the park instead of an annual membership?
Yes! A day pass is $5. You can buy a day pass at the shelter office during shelter business hours. Otherwise, you can use a drop box at the park gate.
How many dogs can I bring?
A member household can bring as many dogs as they wish, so long as those dogs live in the household and have been included in the membership application.
Can I bring a guest dog?
Members can bring 1 guest dog (humans are free!)
How will park entry be controlled?
There will be regular spot checks, with volunteers making unscheduled visits to compare people's addresses to the members database.
July 9 - The Work Starts!
Site preparation generously donated by VanTomme Landscaping
More Site prep for the fence line thanks to Josh at 4 Seasons Trailer and Equipment
Central Iowa Fencing marks the fence line
Grinnell College students with the Conard Environmental Research Area (CERA) volunteered their time to remove invasive plants from the park.
Photos from Monica Loza (Grinnell College ’18). Thanks also to Elaine Marzluff and Elizabeth Hill.
Oct 2 - The Fence Begins!
We broke ground on PALS Park! Central Iowa Fencing started to erect the outer fence, soon to be followed by the pond fence. It's so exciting to be almost at the finish line!
We need at least $15k to finish the project (cement, gravel, signs, water fountain, etc). Donate now and help us get there soon!
Or by mail to PALS Park, PO Box 123, Grinnell IA, 50112